At Piney Creek Square Integrative Veterinary Medicine, we take pride in being your furry family member's doctor and see our role as an integral part in providing healthcare to your pet. The primary focus of our practice is centered on offering a professional level of high quality medical, surgical and dental care. In addition to these professional services, we do stock numerous forms of pharmaceuticals, vaccines and products for your pets.
It is our practice policy to provide written prescriptions to our clients at their request. We do not charge a fee for writing prescriptions for our patients. We do, however wish for your decision on where to have your pet's prescription filled to be an informed one, and feel it is part of our responsibility as your pet's doctor to advise you consider the following:
- We will provide a written prescription on request provided we have examined your pet in the past 6-12 months or at the doctor's discretion for the particular medication or product as appropriate.
- If you choose internet or catalogue sources, we advise you to copy your script and mail them the original. We require our physical prescription form to be used so it can be traced back and authenticated in the event medication error, failure or reaction occurs.
- Please double check to ensure your prescription is sent, filled, labeled, shipped and used correctly. Carefully select your choice of pharmacy including thoroughly research for Board of Pharmacy disciplinary actions.
- Some guarantees made by manufacturers regarding their products (i.e. heartworm preventatives) are null and void (not honored) if their products are purchased through non-approved channels.
- Some internet based pharmacies and catalogue companies have been repeatedly reprimanded by the FDA and State Boards of Pharmacy for violating prescribing procedure. Several well-known companies have been cited and fined repeatedly for the same violations in the same states or several states!
- Pharmaceuticals manufactured and labeled for use in other countries (Australia, New Zealand) have been illegally diverted and sold through some internet sources and catalogues in the United States. In addition, counterfeit medications, preventatives and product have been produced and sold to unsuspecting consumers. The FDA-CVM has documented these problems with the use of some internet sources. www.fda.gov